As the war rages on in Yemen and the humanitarian crisis deepens every day, the preparations for this year’s annual MESA meeting is the saddest in my memory. Although our Sanaa office is closed during the fighting, we were able to provide fellowships for Yemeni scholars and Dr. Dammaj is still as active as the situation allows. The safety of all in Yemen is our first and primary concern.
This year AIYS will sponsor two panels at MESA, which is being held in Denver Colorado. The first panel, [P4124] “Turmoil and Tolerance: Unpacking the Current Crisis in Yemen,” will be held Sunday, November 22, from 4:30-6 pm. The presenters are:
- Yemen and the Culture of Tolerance by Sharafuddin, Mohammed
- Mediating Social Hierarchies in Yemen’s Highlands by Adra, Najwa
- Huthis and Tribes: Prospects for Tribalism in Huthi-Controlled Areas by Brandt, Marieke
- U.S. Drones–Houthi Responses: A Critical Reading of Ansarullah’s Resistance Politics in Yemen by Mahdi, Waleed
- A New Era for Language Diversity in Yemen: Mahri and Socotri in the new Yemeni Constitution by Liebhaber, Sam
The second panel is a roundtable entitled “What’s Happening In Yemen” with a talk by H.E. Ambassador Amat al-Alim Alsoswa on the current situation in Yemen and discussion by Dan Varisco and Sheila Carapico. This will be held on Monday, November 23, from 11:00 am-12:30 pm.
Our annual AIYS board meeting will be held on Saturday, November 21, 4-6pm, in Director’s Row F, Plaza Building, Lobby Level. The AIYS business meeting, which is open to all who are interested, will be held on Saturday, November 21 from 7:30-8:30pm, Plaza Court 6, Plaza Building, Concourse Level.
AIYS encourages anyone with an interest and concern for Yemen to attend these important panels. Please spread the word.